UK Government Regulation and Guidelines to Renew Adult Passport Online
A passport is an essential document when traveling abroad. It serves as identity proof that you have entered the country legally. There it is very important to have a recent photo on your passport. Passport in the United Kingdom would expire after ten years if it were issued when you were an adult (16 years of age or older) and expires after five years if issued to you when you were a child (15 years of age or below).
Every time you get your passport renewed; you have to take a new recent photo for the application. Do not travel without getting your passport renewed as the new passport will have a different number than your old passport. To traveling to some countries, you are required to have six months left on your passport.
You have to replace your passport if it has more than acceptable wear and tear, which can also ruin your travel plans. If you apply online, it will take three weeks to get a new passport, and if you apply by post, it will take longer.
- A DS-82 form, which can be found online.
- Your old passport.
- The photograph should be recent.
- If you have changed your name, a document that verifies the name change.
The photo for a passport can be done online or offline. For online, you can use Digital Photo. You can take your digital photo during your application. In this case, you will need someone's help and a good device through which you can take your photo.
Or you can go to a Photo Studio before you apply to get a Digital Passport Photos done by a digital photo professional. Another digital photo method is You can use a photo booth and get a code to add the photo to your application. You can use this code later on to retrieve your picture.
Keep the following rules and regulation in check while taking you the digital photo for your passport:
- The photo size sport must be 45x 35mm. The head size from the chin to the top must be between 29mm and 34mm. The photo must be squared with the upper shoulder in view.
- The photo should be colored, not black and white.
- The photo should be taken in the last 30 days before applying.
- The background of the photo should be of cream or light grey color. No designs are allowed in the background.
- For digital photos, it should be 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall. The pictures should be at least 50 KB and not more than 10 MB.
- The photo should be unaltered by computer software.
- The photo should not be out of focus in the face should be crystal clear.
- Headgear is only allowed for religious or medical reasons.
- Eyes should be visible and open. Prescribed glasses are allowed as long as the eyes are visible. Avoid wearing tinted or colored glasses. The photograph should not have red-eye.
- The face should have neutral expressions. Smiling is not allowed, and the mouth should be closed as well.
If you have a friend or anyone from your family, you can ask them to take it. Stand about 40cm away from the wall and ask your friend to stand 1-1.5m away from the camera facing it, this will help bring your shoulders, upper body, and head in one frame itself.
If you have long hair brush your hair and you must be facing the camera straight. Make sure there are no shadows in the background or Shadow cast on your face. The best way to avoid shadows is to have good lighting. Natural lighting will be the best if possible, try taking photos on a bright sunny day.
If you have a window, it is best to stand opposite it. Keep the camera to the same level or height as the face. Take as many photos as you can and choose the right one.
After selecting a good picture upload, it online with your application, HMPO software will later scan it to check if the photograph falls under all the rules and regulation.
If all the rules and regulations are followed, and the photograph meets all the standards, the process will move forward with your application. If there is an issue with the photograph, you will be asked to take the photograph again until it fits the criteria.
For offline Photographs for the passport, you will need to submit two identical Photographs with your application. Your shoulders neck and head should be visible in the photograph. The camera should be focused, and your eyes should be visible. In the photograph, no other person or object should be visible in the background. Your face should have neutral expressions, without any smile and mouth closed.
The photo should not be cut out of a larger picture. The photo should be a mark on both sides (unless it needs to be countersigned). It should be printed professionally. The photo must be printed in high quality, using white photographic paper with no borders. Do not stick the photos to the application form permanently deliver them loosely.
Renew of Passport Photo for Children
If your child's passport was issued when they were infants, by the age of 6, the passport has to be renewed and the photo. For the children above the age of 6, rules and regulations for the passport photos are the same as the adult except for the head size rule of 21mm and 34 mm. The rules of perfect lighting, focus, and background are still applicable.
The renewal process takes three weeks online, and longer by mail, therefore plan your renewal process accordingly. It is important to have a passport that has more than six months from expiry for safer travels. The process is similar for adults and children above the age of 6 for the passport photo.